- Make sure you are clear about your goals and objectives for giving. What do you hope to achieve? By being clear and upfront about what impact you’d like to have, you can better inform your giving actions. In most cases, choosing fewer organizations or causes you’d like to support will allow you to make bigger and more impactful donations, rather than stretching your dollars out across many entities.
- Do your research! Not all charities are created equal. Make sure you know where your money is going and that it will be used in the most effective way possible. There are many free resources out there when it comes to finding qualified charities, so be sure to visit their websites and request reading materials to help inform your decisions.
- Get involved! The more involved you are with the charities or causes you support, the more ownership and pride you’ll feel in your giving. This can manifest itself in many ways – from volunteering your time to simply staying up-to-date on their work and progress. This is also a great way to get first-hand insight into the inner workings of the charities you support, as well as helping identify areas of need that may inform your giving directives.
- Spread the word! Most charities are run by volunteer efforts and are often underfunded and understaffed. When it comes to the charities you are working to support, don’t forget to talk to friends, family, and colleagues about the cause and why it’s important. By being a mouthpiece, you can help raise awareness and highlight important matters.
- Maximize your giving. By employing a few simple financial strategies, you can create a lasting impact through your charitable giving efforts. If you are looking to make your giving dollars go further, consider establishing something like a Donor-Advised Fund account. Speak with one of our certified specialists today to learn about the benefits of a DAF, how to contribute and fund the account, what benefits you can receive, and how the funds are appropriated.
Of course, there are many additional ways to make your charitable giving more impactful. The most important thing is to take the first step and just get started. With a little bit of effort, you can turn your charitable giving into a powerful force for good. As always, please feel free to reach out to a Crewe Foundation advisor with any questions you may have.